Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Week 4 -- Tuesday

I hit my first major milestone on Tuesday.....I ate my first bug. Yep, I'm very proud of my accomplishment. It was just one of those days. I set my alarm for 6:45am and much to Ryan's chagrin, I hit the snooze about 4 times before it was finally time for Ryan to get up for work and he turned the alarm off altogether. So, no morning run for me. I left work about 4:45 and headed to the Y. Got there, and of course there were no treadmills open. UGH. So, I headed home to get ready for an outdoor run. Got all my stuff, except my watch, and headed out. Didn't make it to my route until 5:30, so there it began. My first race of the season.....a race against the sunset. So, I started out on my run and soon realized I had forgotton my watch. Oh well. Keep running. About half a mile into it, I ran into a swarm of flies. Ate a few, a few got in my eyes, and rest were stuck to my sweaty face. I was like a human spider web. Not my best moment. Oh well.

I made it to milemarker one and instinctively looked down at my left wrist. Yep, my watch still wasn't there. It unfortunately had not magically appeared. In my mind I was thinking, this could have been my fastest mile 1 ever and I would have no way of knowing, but deep down I knew it was much more likely that it had been my slowest mile 1 ever so I was sort of glad I didn't have a watch to make myself feel bad about it.

So, from there it was on to mile 2. I HATE mile 2. It is always my worst mile. I always feel like quitting. It is so funny how mile 8 can feel better than mile 2. But anyway, I soldiered on and conquered mile 2. And you know the best thing about finishing mile 2, is I get to mile 3, which is my favorite. Mile 3 always seems to fly by. At that point, I'm always sufficiently covered in sweat and for some reason that feels a lot better than the beginning miles where I am half wet half dry and I can feel the sweat tricking down. Once I get to mile 3, I stop feeling it and just accept the grossness and kind of hit my groove. Anyways, the last 2 miles were uneventful. I even got a bit of a kick in the end which is always fun. So, I accomplished 4 miles in about 43 minutes (give or take). Not bad, not good, but I finished them and tomorrow is another day. :)

Oh, and in other news, I signed up for my first race today. I'm going to be competing in a 5k on October 17th. 3.1 miles sounds really easy, but I want to get a good time so I'm going to attempt some tempo runs next week to improve my speed. Can't wait and I will post pictures after the race!!

No comments:

Post a Comment